Friday, September 28, 2012

Summer- Part 2


Its not news to anyone that I am horrible at keeping this blog up, but alas....

The rest of the summer was pretty low key, family came all at once which was tons of fun, but it was so sad to not have anyone around. In the past the kids and I have always gone to visit family over the summer, but with the baby we just decided to stick around home.

Mason's highlight of the summer was to take a trip to California.  Sam and his brothers do this annual fishing trip out in the ocean and Sam wanted to bring Mason along this year.  We figured if we were going to spend the money to fly him out there that he might as well stay and visit for a while.  The only problem was Sam could only go for a weekend due to work.
Sam convinced me that sending Mason out ahead of him would be a great idea.  He could visit with his cousins that he hardly sees and spend time with his grandparents.  I was terrified to have him fly alone...I mean really, I was so nervous.  I was trying to be strong for him and act like it wasn't a big deal, but inside my stomach was sick, I just didn't want him to be scared.
The airlines actually do a fantastic job taking care of minors, they didn't let him out of their site.  And just for my peace of mind, I bought him a cell phone so I could talk to him in between flights (yes, he had a layover, no direct flights from Iowa)  Sam walked him to the gate, they only allowed one parent. Mason did well until he had to say goodbye, then he broke down.  But he was so brave, he knew that even though he was scared he wasn't going to miss out on this opportunity.  Once he boarded I spent the next few hours just waiting for him to land so I could talk to him.  Once he got over the fear of the initial flight he was fine, he was so excited when I talked to him and couldn't wait for his adventure.




He had a great trip.  His cousin is only 6 months older than him and ever since we left California they had only seen each other once.  They get along great and spent time at Grandmas and from what I hear spent an entire day playing Monopoly over and over again.  Once Sam flew out the group got together for the fishing trip and camping on the beach.  Mason got sick on the boat, but recovered.  Then at the beach, even though it was super cold, he had a blast playing in the waves...the last time he went to the beach he was a toddler.
It was the highlight of his summer, even though we missed him a ton. It made me realize that he is growing up, and that just makes me sad....Its so weird this parent thing.  You have kids and wonder when you will ever sleep again, have a moment to use the bathroom alone, or have some peace and quiet...and then as soon as those times come around you realize your babies have grown up... I know he is only 9 but I feel like I don't have enough time left already...


While the boys were in California, my friend Jamie came to visit from St. Louis.  I have such amazing friends from there and I was so excited she FINALLY came to see me.  She is one of the nicest, kindest people I know...and truly a genuine friend, she would do anything for me.  And I love that I can totally be myself around her, we could lounge around all day and do nothing and be totally content.  It was nice to have someone around, especially when Sam was gone.


Jamie with my little Jackson, he has already changed so much.

Abby, Sarah and Taylor..all I said was "pose" and this was the shot I got, so funny!  



FIRSTS

Jackson in the exersaucer and high chair for the first time.



 I couldn't believe that with all of our visitors over the summer that we waited until the very end of the summer to go visit a nearby lake that I always knew was there but always thought..eww, its probably gross.  One day, driving home I decided to just swing by and check it out, and this is what I saw:


It is super pretty and clean, like really clean...I could have kicked myself for all the visitors that we had and the way hot summer that we had and all of the $$$ we spent at the pool and for some reason we never checked out the lake.  Next year.

The kids LOVED it.  We only went one time after Sam got off work so there was nobody else there and the sun wasn't as harsh.  Jackson spent the evening chillin' in his stroller.  But its beautiful and FREE, we like that!


ADVENTURELAND

One last little hoorah before the summer ended, we took the kids to a nearby amusement park.  It was fun, but I'm getting old, I was exhausted and frankly I preferred the kiddie rides.



Sam and the older 2 getting ready to go on this super scary ride, it takes you up really high and then drops you down really fast a few times.  Abby couldn't wait, she loves rides, our little thrill seaker. Mason on the other hand, I think he only went on becuase he didn't want his little sister to show him up.  This picture cracks me up, Abby is smiling, Sam is doing his nervous scratch on his cheek( I don't think he even realizes he does that) and Mason has his eyes shut, and he kept them shut the entire time, I think he was praying or something.  


4 months


5 months



And I can't get enough of this chubbiness!!!



We spent the last day of our summer at the pool..goodbye lazy days and no schedule.


1 comment:

Catherine said...

Your adventureland looks JUSt like our nearby amusement park, slightly scary because it's so old and creepy. We loved it though, lots of fun.